- >From: Jinny Sims, Irene Lanzinger, Susan Lambert
> Date: May 18, 2007
> Re: Category 5+
TQS is now ready to accept applications for Category 5+. They are in the process of revising their policies to accommodate the agreement between the BCTF and BCPSEA on criteria for Category 5+.
The application form is on the TQS website. Here are a few additional pieces of information:
The additional pay for 5+ will be retroactive to April 1, 2006 for teachers who met the criteria before that date.
- TQS will indicate on the document they issue, the date at which the teacher met the criteria.
- Boards will then need to pay teachers retroactively.
- Locals will have to ensure that boards are paying the retroactive pay to members who qualified prior to April 1, 2006.
- For teachers who meet the qualifications after April 2006 the regular TQS timelines will apply.
We now use the term 5+ rather that 5+15 or 5+30 because of the confusion between units and credits. The requirement is 30 semester credits as it states in the criteria. Universities use a variety of systems. TQS is, of course, very familiar with those systems and their equivalency to semester credits.
The criteria for 5+ allow for 6 semester credits to be courses that are not at the senior level. The purpose is to allow teachers to take courses that are pre-requisites for senior level courses in a program. Please advise your members that the best course of action in determining whether or not courses will count in terms of the criteria is to seek pre-approval by TQS. TQS strongly encourages teachers to seek pre-approval to avoid situations where teachers take courses that are later not approved.
Please take a second to subscribe to our e-mail notification service. You will be notified when we post new information on this website.