PRDTU Safe School Recommendations
At a General Meeting on Nov. 21, the Prince Rupert District Teachers’ Union (PRDTU) passed the following recommendations for safer schools and classrooms during COVID-19. These recommendations were shared with the School District. Teachers are hopeful that the School District will adopt these recommendations to improve school safety.
- That the PRDTU request that the School District immediately adopt the following measures:
- require that staff, students, and the public wear a mask when in indoor school or classroom spaces when physical distancing is not possible, with exceptions provided for medical reasons, individual student needs, and while eating or drinking on breaks or lunches;
- inform classroom teachers of known increased exposure risks, including if there is known instance of a positive COVID-19 test result in a classroom or cohort;
- reduce density in all classrooms to a maximum of 15 students;
- educate families on the importance of self-isolation and staying at home if you have possible COVID-19 symptoms or [are] waiting for COVID-19 test results;
- transparent monitoring of air filtration and ventilation systems in all schools and classrooms;
- provide staff with barriers and other control measures without further delay, and
- continue with all other existing exposure control measures, including enhanced cleaning and sanitization, and the provision of hand sanitizing stations and hand washing sinks.
Teachers also voted to recommend the following:
- That additional programs for remote learning be offered to students whose attendance to date has been less than 20% this school year.
- Welcome to the home page of the Prince Rupert District Teachers’ Union (PRDTU).
- Go to the Media Page for recent press releases.
- We are teachers working together – to support students, families, and public education for all communities.
NEW MEMBERS: Welcome to the PRDTU – visit the new member info page.