The PRDTU will continue to advocate for safe schools for students and staff alike. We will continue to call for:
- The provision of N95-type masks for staff, students, and visitors in schools
- Improvements to ventilation in schools, including the addition of portable HEPA filters where needed
- Access to boosters so that teachers and others in schools are fully (3-shot) vaccinated
Schools should be open and safe to support students’ education. In-person schooling works best for almost all students and it is therefore important for this to be safe. The PRDTU will continue to advocate for safety at schools – because children’s education is always essential. Let’s continue to work together for safe schools – during all phases of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The PRDTU has been clear with SD52 since the start of the pandemic that:
- Teacher workload should not increase due to COVID-19 measures. All COVID-19 measures should include adequate supports. Students deserve the same level of education during all phases of the pandemic.
- Hybrid teaching increases teacher workload and reduces the quality of education for most students. Hybrid teaching is therefore unacceptable. Teaching should be either in-person or remote (not both).
- Teacher autonomy, teacher workload, and all other parts of the collective agreement remain in place and must be respected – even during the pandemic. Quality education is essential and should be provided during all phases of the pandemic.
At this stage of the pandemic, the government and school district have had time to plan and prepare. We are no longer in the early days of the pandemic. Schools and classrooms should be safe. The provision of N95-type masks, HEPA portable air filters, and other measures support safe and open schools for students and staff alike. The PRDTU will continue to advocate for safe schools and a safe workplace for our members.